May the Lord grant us His grace, His strength, so that we can be deeply united to Christ, the cornerstone, stone of support for all of our lives and the life of the Church.
Christmas Giving Tree Coordinator
“I prefer a Church which is bruised, hurting and dirty because it has been out on the streets, rather than a Church which is unhealthy from being confined and from clinging to its own security. I do not want a Church concerned with being at the centre and then ends by being caught up in a web of obsessions and procedures. If something should rightly disturb us and trouble our consciences, it is the fact that so many of our brothers and sisters are living without the strength, light and consolation born of friendship with Jesus Christ, without a community of faith to support them, without meaning and a goal in life. More than by fear of going astray, my hope is that we will be moved by the fear of remaining shut up within structures which give us a false sense of security, within rules which make us harsh judges, within habits which make us feel safe, while at our door people are starving and Jesus does not tire of saying to us: “Give them something to eat” (Mk 6:37).”
- Pope Francis
Please contact the main office for St. Mary’s to volunteer in any of the area’s below and we will get you in touch with the leader of that organization:
520 Veirs Mill Rd Rockville, MD 20852
Office Phone: 301-424-5550 | Fax: 301-424-5579
Parish email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Parish Council Liaison for Social Concerns – Matt McCormick
* Open Volunteer Positions (Please inquire at the main office above for information)
– We thank Carolyn Marcucilli for her service!
- Nourish Now (Food Rescue) – Led by Francis Moran
- Pick up food from two locations weekly; Bethesda Food Co-Op and Good to Go Café and drop food off directly at Nourish Now.
- Have 6 Volunteers currently and need two more
- Catholic Charities Chase Partnership House – Led by Mary Perry
- Chase Partnership House is a shelter for 36 homeless men recovering from drug and alcohol abuse, and for those who may have chronic mental illness.
- St. Mary’s Social Concerns Committee is responsible for delivering meals the first Monday of the month all year long (even holidays).
- Cook for 36 men providing a full meal with dessert. Three cooks every month (each making enough for 12) and usually one baker (making enough for all 36).
- 42 parishioners involved using Signup Genius
- Health Ministry – Led by Sue Barrett
- Health Ministry is checking blood pressures on the second Sunday after the 9 and 10:30 Mass.
- 5 Volunteers providing a great service to St. Mary’s parishioners.
- Gabriel Project Donations – Led by Celine Gogoua
- Bring your baby supplies to the crib inside the church
- This runs all year long!
- Thanksgiving Day Baskets – Led by Chris Kelly
- Collection of food and monetary donations to go to the City of Rockville programs
- Collection boxes will be in church several weeks before Thanksgiving
- Greg Gannon Food Drive – Led by Mary McCormick
- Collected roughly 10,000 canned items for each of the last 3 years going to local food organizations
- In 2016 collected 1100 Cans going to the following organizations; Manna, Rockville Help/FISH, Germantown Help, Interfaith Works, Nourish Now, National Center for Children and Families, Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless, Shepard’s Table, Dorothy Day, Rainbow Place and St. Martin’s Pantry
- St. Mary’s Boy Scouts – Led by Trisha Camobreco
- Monthly pickup (2nd Sunday) of food that goes to Rockville FISH
- Clothing Drive – Twice yearly to benefit the Interfaith Clothing Center. St. Mary's boy Scouts (Tom Finn lead)
- Advent Giving Tree (Open Position)
- In 2016 St. Mary’s serviced Community Ministries (36 tags), Becky’s House (7 tags), Wilkins Avenue (55 tags), Chase Partnership (36 tags), Dorothy Day Place (48 tags), Jubilee Association, (20 tags), Little Sisters of the Poor (56 tags), St. Ann’s (30 tags), Lourie Center (4 tags), and Family of Four for St. Mary’s Parish (8 tags).
- SOME (So other’s might Eat)
- St. Mary’s has multiple groups providing meals monthly (Casseroles)
- Please contact St. Mary’s to start a new group!
St. Mary’s parishioners also work with Stepping Stones Shelter in Rockville MD. Please contact Stepping Stones directly for volunteer opportunities including bringing meals monthly for families that are staying there: http://steppingstonesshelter.org/ Other volunteer opportunities at the shelter are listed: http://steppingstonesshelter.org/how-you-can-help/volunteer/